The body achieves what the mind believes.
The verdict is in on my Shepards Pie — IT’S AMAZING!! I gave a few bites to my co-workers today and they were shocked at how creamy the califlower mash was on the top…I call this a WIN!
Shepard’s Pie (Inspiration recipe: Easy Shepard’s Pie Recipe):
- MJ’s Recipe with modifications
- 3 tbsp Earth Balance Butter (dairy-free and I use the soy free version as well)
- 3 heads califlower
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bag (16oz) frozen veggies (carrots, peas, green beans, and lima beans)(I got the 365 brand from Whole Foods with no salt added)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup beef broth (low sodium)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup cheese (I use dairy-free)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the califlower into florets and steam until it is easy to puncture with a fork. (linked to week 1 post that shows different steaming methods)
- Once califlower is cooked, place in either a blender or food processor with the earth balance butter. Blend until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Blend for an additional 10 seconds to mix the seasoning in. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet, combine the onion and garlic and heat on medium-high heat. The kind of minced garlic that I use has a little bit of olive oil in it, so I don’t add any additional olive oil when I cook my onions. Cook onions until tender (roughly 5 to 8 minutes).
- Once onions are tender, empty the bag of frozen veggies into the skillet and mix with the onion/garlic mixture. Cook until the frozen veggies are tender.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the beef broth to the skillet with the beef, onions, and veggies. Bring the broth to a simmer and reduce to low heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the skillet into an oven safe 9×13 dish. Top with the califlower mash and sprinkle the cheese on the top. Cook in the oven for 30min.
- Ready to serve.
I have been making this Brisket recipe for years — when I use to have roommates, they would devour this as I was taking it out of the crockpot…its THAT good!
Easy Slowcooker Brisket:
- MJ’s Recipe:
- 5 lbs brisket, cut into thirds for easy of putting it in crockpot
- 3 12oz jars of banana peppers
- Pour the 3 jars of banana peppers into a crockpot. Sometimes I use one of those GIANT jars from Costco. Other times I just grab a few jars from the grocery.
- Place the brisket into the crockpot and fill remainder of crockpot with water.
- Turn the crockpot on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours. I normally put this in the crockpot and go to bed, then wake up in the morning and pull it apart.
- Once the brisket is cooked, remove from crockpot and pull the brisket apart. I normally put it in 4 oz ziplock bags and freeze it so it is ready when I need it.
- Ready to serve. The nutritional information below represents 4 oz as 1 serving.
Some of my favorite things to use this brisket for are tacos, nachos, breakfast eggs, and snacks. It is definetly a staple in my house! You can also add a jar of jalapeños to the crockpot as well if you would like to spice it up — if you haven’t noticed already…jalapeños are one of my favs!
Also – I need to get better about taking pictures while I am cooking becuase I took NO pictures of the Shepards Pie or the Brisket #FAIL.